Alan B. Dryer was called to the bar of Ontario in 1987, and has practised law in Toronto since that time. Alan earned a Bachelor of Laws degree from the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto in 1985, where he was awarded the Borden & Elliott Prize, the Canada Law Book Prize, the Michael John Eccles Prize, the Cary S. Stern Prize and Honours List standing.
After articling with Lang Michener in 1985/86, Alan practiced with Diamond Fairbairn, until 1994, when he began his present association with Sherman Brown.
Alan has been an instructor in both Civil Procedure and Advocacy at the Bar Admission Course of the Law Society of Upper Canada. He has also been an instructor in Civil Procedure at Humber College.
Alan practises in all levels of the courts in Ontario, including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Superior Court of Justice, the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He also appears before various administrative Boards and Tribunals. He is also experienced with various Alternative Dispute Resolution procedures, including mediation and arbitration.
Alan acts for a broad range of corporate and individual clients, and as counsel to various solicitors and other professionals in fields related to his practice.
Alan practises Civil Litigation in the following fields:
• Real Estate Litigation
• Corporate and Commercial Litigation
• Construction Disputes and Liens
• Mortgage litigation including Enforcement and Improvident Sale
• Commercial Lease Litigation
• Employment Litigation including Wrongful Dismissal
• Estate and Trust Litigation
• Real Property Boundary disputes including Easements and Adverse Possession
• Real Estate Transactional Disputes
• Real Estate Agency Disputes
• Municipal Law and Land Development Court Litigation
• Environmental litigation
• Contract and Business Disputes
• Corporate and Shareholder Disputes
• Provincial Regulatory Offences
• Professional Negligence Actions
• Civil Litigation of Disputes relating to Criminal Law
• Banking Litigation
• Franchise Litigation
• International Litigation
• Administrative Tribunals
• Professional Discipline Proceedings
• Appeals including Court of Appeal and Divisional Court
A sample of Alan’s recent or notable court decisions includes:
• Schultz v. Menkes Developments Ltd.
• Bartlett v. Bartlett, 2006 CarswellOnt 5698, Ontario Court of Appeal, 2006
• King Carrier Ltd. v. Trifield Construction Co., 2009 CarswellOnt 2447, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, 2009
• 1599176 Ontario Ltd. v. Hope-Smith Estate, 2011 CarswellOnt 3041, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, 2011
• Radial Investments Ltd. v. Dunpar Developments Inc., 2008 CarswellOnt 587, Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Divisional Court), 2008
• Menkes Lakeshore Ltd. v. Toronto (City), 2007 CarswellOnt 4637, Ontario Superior Court of Justice (Divisional Court), 2007
• Trans-Canada Medical Management Inc. v. Varenbut, 2003 CarswellOnt 4549, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, 2003
• National Bank of Greece (Canada) v. Mboutsiadis, 2002 CarswellOnt 1838, Ontario Superior Court of Justice, 2002
• Van Bork v. William Carson Holdings Ltd., 1998 CarswellOnt 4300, Ontario Court of Justice (General Division), 1998
• Wolfond v. North York (City) Building Commissioner, 1990 CarswellOnt 451, Ontario District Court, 1990